Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 23:29:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        kiri@kiri.toba-cmt.ac.jp, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't compile kdelibs-2.1b

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * Oh is that true?  So people who works on 2.2.5-stable would be shut away
>  * from kde!
>
>  * I see.  For the time bing, people who want to use kde will be
>  * installed from packages?
>
> You are contradicting yourself here. :)
>
> Satoshi (Yes, it works for me, and the package building machine runs -stable)

  Is your /bin/sh actually bash?  Either that, has some one committed some
sh fixes in the last month?

  For example, the following script demonstrates a problem that I see with
some configure scripts that scan for the location of some binary via a for
loop and "test":

#! /bin/sh

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin

IFS="${IFS= 	}"; ac_save_ifs="$IFS"; IFS="${IFS}:"
for ac_dir in $PATH:/usr/local/bin$ac_dummy; do
	echo "ac_dir is $ac_dir"
done

produces the following output with /bin/sh:

ac_dir is /bin
ac_dir is /usr/bin
ac_dir is /sbin:/usr/local/bin

but with bash:

ac_dir is /bin
ac_dir is /usr/bin
ac_dir is /sbin
ac_dir is /usr/local/bin

  In fact, I eventually broke down and dl'ed the kdelibs to look at the
configure script.  Sure enough, line 3705 is very similar to my
snippet above.

Tom