Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:37:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems Upgrading 2.2.7 to 3.3

Last night I tried to upgrade my 2.2.7 machine to the newly-released 3.3.
When I installed, I get "no boot.conf found", and then "invalid format!"
whenever I try and boot one of the kernel[.GENERIC] images.

I had the same problem when trying to do an upgrade to 3.2 a while
back.  I chose to revert back to 2.2.7.  However, the situation has now
changed and I can't run an a.out development box anymore.

I installed 3.[23] via the CD-ROMS and floppies (created from CD-ROM), so
according to the messages in the mailing list archives, I shouldn't run
into this error, as the bootblocks from the floppies can boot ELF kernels
properly.

Is it possible that the boot loader / boot sector from my 2.2.7 install is
not being overwritten properly, and then upon reboot, it can't figure out
how to load an ELF kernel?

Please phone, fax, or e-mail.  I don't have newsgroup access.

--
Matthew Emmerton      || matt@gsicomp.on.ca
GSI Computer Services || P: +1 (800) 217-5409