Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:27:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing X-Windows

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 13-Jun-98, Sue Blake wrote:
>> My secret spy satellite informs me that on 13-Jun-98, Sue Blake wrote:
>> > Thanks for using NetForward!
>> > http://www.netforward.com
>> > v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
>
> Huh?? I never wrote that :-)

Sorry; that wasn't you.  My mail forwarding service (www.netforward.com)
subsidizes this free service by selling ad space to people.  The ads
appear as a three-line blurb at the top of each message that people
receive.  I don't mind this -- it's but a small price to pay for a
lifetime e-mail address.  (If I ever change Internet providers, I *don't*
have to reprint all my business cards, track down all my friends, etc.  --
I just use the Web browser to change what "dburr@POBoxes.com" "points" to.
:) )

I just forgot to delete it from the message when I replied. :)

> I was just wondering... were you sent to freebsd-newbies to give us that
> URL and now we're the only people in the world who know about the
> contest?

No.  I just noticed that nobody had mentioned it here, and I figured
that I would mention it, and that responding to that guy's window manager
problem message, would be the perfect place to mention it.

In fact, the contest is fairly new -- it has only just now started being
discussed in freebsd-chat (I believe).  So it's definitely in the "get the
word out" stage of things.

>> Actually, when I said "we", I meant FreeBSD as a whole.
>
> Aah, so it's not something external; you meant us newbies too :-)

Sure.  Anyone who is interested in FreeBSD, and is interested in seeing it
grow and thrive.

>> I am not actually involved in this -- the people involved are Jordan,
>> Gilad Rom, and Philip Salzman. But it can definitely be agreed on that
>> this thing can only stand to benefit The FreeBSD Project and its users!
>
> Sure, it's a great idea! Thanks for letting us know.

NO problem!

> I reckon all newbies should have a go. Newbies are very creative, and I
> don't want to win my 12 gig drive too easily. Who wants to be the
> runners-up? :-)

Technical ability is not the most important skill.  In fact, with some of
the window managers out there, the technical side of things is practically
all done for you.  This contest is really much much more of a
creative/artistic thing -- picking the programs you want to be in the
"default" menus, designing icons and color schemes, and background
pictures, etc.  And you don't necessarily have to create stuff
entirely from scratch -- you can always modify graphics/images/icons/etc.
already out there.  (Just be sure to observe copyrights, etc.)

So listen up newbies -- don't be afraid, don't be shy!  That Web site once
again is:

http://www.freebsd.org/~jkh/xcontest/
---
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.