Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:21:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Kernel Unstable

In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.970318145838.215P-100000@thelab.hub.org> The Hermit Hacker writes:
: 	Well, -RELEASE isn't stable, that's for sure.  Something like 3
: crash/reboots in the past 12 hours or so??  I've put in a bug report for
: each of the last two, as there seemed to have been *some* information
: available from the core, but this recent one doesn't seem to give *any*
: information.  I someone can tell me what information would be useful to
: grab out of the core files from this, I'd be more then happy to produce it,
: as I'm holding onto the core files for as long as possible, and/or in relation
: to the other two bug reports created...

I saw something similar last night when I did a sudo reboot while
running X.  It was for a lock in ufs.  I thought I had posted to
-hackers, but haven't seen it come back yet.

I was runing a -current kernel as of Mar 14 and thought that it was
just the post Lite-2 blues.  I didn't get a good traceback because gdb
didn't have any symbols.  When I did gdb's job by hand, it showed the
following traceback:

#0  0xf0111fb3 in boot ()
#1  0xf0112272 in panic ()
#2  0xf01b9956 in trap_fatal ()
#3  0xf01b9444 in trap_pfault ()
#4  0xf01b911f in trap ()
#5  0xf010d660 in lockstatus ()
#6  0xf01a1bfd in ufs_islocked () + 0x15
#7  0xf0131d78 in vfs_msync () + 0x38
#8  0xf0132704 in sync () + 0x4c
#9  0xf0111e7d in boot () + 0x75
#10 0xf0112272 in panic ()
#11 0xf01b9956 in trap_fatal ()
#12 0xf01b9444 in trap_pfault ()
#13 0xf01b911f in trap ()
#14 0xf010d660 in lockstats ()
#15 0xf01a1bfd in ufs_islocked () + 0x15
#16 0xf0131d78 in vfs_msync () + 0x38
#17 0xf0132704 in sync () + 0x4c
#18 0xf012d58b in vfs_update () + 0x3b
#19 0xf0107ab6 in kproc_start () + 0x32
#20 0xf0107a54 in main ()

So I've rebuilt the kernel -g and rebooted with a Mar 17 kernel.
We'll see if this is more stable or not.

BTW, is it a bad sign when you have lunch with a -core member and he
says you are a lot braver than he for running a post lite-2 merge
-current?

Warner

P.S.  No, the same traceback on the screen twice isn't a typo!