Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:05:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        rdm@cfcl.com (Rich Morin)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rdm@cfcl.com
Subject:   Re: disk setup questions

In a previous message, Rich Morin said:
> Dear people-
>
> I am running FreeBSD 2.2.1 on a 200 MHz Pentium system with 64 MB of RAM
> and an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card.  I have gotten "media error" several times
> on a couple of Micropolis 9 GB (MICROP 1991-27) disk drives.  So, I ran
> scsiformat on both drives, with no reported errors.  I then used /stand/
> sysinstall to set up each drive as a single "C" partition.  Finally, I
> tried to newfs the drives (e.g., "newfs -m 5 /dev/rsd3c").
>
> Both drives failed this procedure, hanging the machine (or at least the
> SCSI bus) in the process.  Specifically, newfs printed out a series of
> perhaps hals a dozen super-block numbers, then hung.  I was able to ping
> the machine, but not to rlogin into it.
>
> Help?
>
> Yours, Rich Morin
>
> P.S.  I *know* I should install 2.2.5, but I'm waiting for a lull in
>       my other activities before I do this...

Yeah, I think the 2940UW had troubles in 2.2.1. Also, the 2940 is
very, very, very, very, very picky about termination. So,
	1) Check termination
	2) Check termination
	3) Check termination
	4) hope for a lull and get up to 2.2.5 (though 2.2.6 is RSN
	   or so Doug aka the Amazing email machine, tells us)
	5) Just for kicks, check termination
	6) Then make sure you have termination correct.

--
Labor, n.:
        One of the processes by which A acquires property for B.