Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:11:31 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http://users.uk.freebsd.org/~juha/

Miguel Mendez wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 12:46:25PM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > What always bugs me is people who should know better referring to "crackers",
> > as "hackers" :)
>
> Troll, but I'll bite :-)
>
> Cracker: salted cookie.
> Hacker: what you meant as hacker.
>
> Cracker is nothing, just a stupid term made up by journalists and
> clueless people like Suckomu Shimomura. ;-P

Well, "troll" back at you...

A hacker looks, but does not touch; hacking is a result
of a curious nature.

A cracker touches; cracking is a result of poor potty
training.

A hacker learns in order to learn.

A cracker learns in order to exploit.

Any true hacker has a Bushido-style sense of honor.  A
hacker is a Samurai.

Crackers generally have no honor.  A cracker is Ronin.

Ken Thompson is a hacker.  Dennis Ritchie is a hacker.
Kirk McKusick is a hacker.

The term "cracker" was not chosen lightly; it was chosen
by hackers, not by journalists.  "Cracking" intentionally
implies breakage, damage, or exploitation of some kind.

In fact, it is journalists who use the terms as if they
were the same thing, which pisses hackers off immensely,
and delights crackers no end, in the same way that a
person who habitually wore black in order to impersonate
a tortured young artist would be delighted to be mistaken
for one.

The "freebsd-hackers" mailing list was named correctly,
even if some idiots don't get the point and post asking
for "W4R3Z" occasionally.  We usually point them to the
top "W4R3Z" site on the net, one so secret it has no DNS
name: 127.0.0.1.

And no, we aren't going to change the FreeBSD mascot to
something other than the BSD Daemon, thanks.

And yes, we have all your personal information on file,
we just aren't going to do anything with it.  8-).

-- Terry