Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:24:57 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panics & bad reads from 3.3-RELEASE install with aha2940u2w....

Thomas David Rivers writes:
>  You mentioned that 3.2 installed just fine - I'm guessing it was
> from a non-SCSI CD, or over the net.

Used a $32 32x Hitachi CD from a PC surplus shop. It makes quite a
noise when it spins up to full speed but has worked perfectly.

>  [I've got the same IBM drives, I believe... - which makes your
> experiment even more interesting to me.. if you succeed, I will be
> jealous :-) ]

Dug thru my receipts and found they (two) are IBM DDRS-39130UW.

MB BIOS was originally 1008a its now 1010?, possibly beta. Spent 2
months going around in circles with Iomega over an ATAPI Zip-100 before
finally getting an RMA. Replacement worked perfectly. But in the mean
time I fixe a lot of stuff that wasn't broken. Such as the BIOS. If ever
dealing with Iomega, don't let them know the BIOS is able to see their
Zip drive. Especially don't mention "the BIOS manual says it knows how
to boot a Zip drive." Their tech support will focus on that as the
problem for a long time even when you insist, "No, the problem is it
*worked* when the BIOS saw it, now the BIOS doesn't and meanwhile the
Zip drive happens not to work."

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net