Date:      Wed, 16 May 2018 20:58:11 +0800
From:      blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
To:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
Cc:        Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>, x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>,  Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: your mail
References:  <CACvgo523OnQAKe0capm0u7XqSdV%2Bpwhqhjtg4%2BmFowvWARHQ_Q@mail.gmail.com> <20170222120828.zkrfh56swen7r44o@ivaldir.etoilebsd.net> <CACvgo50Jbs3vQyE-bzxJ3CqeKXnhrGTXyt=ngZRZHNF=0rsq-g@mail.gmail.com> <3635692.Vys3mgEcQY@workstation.reztek> <CACvgo51x1s77y-8w0j7hS4O9ZJASzhh%2Bo8yAULvoXtMB3LB=Sw@mail.gmail.com> <237b2552-c97c-fd41-5509-ed611f0103dd@freebsd.org> <CALM2mEkb%2BXGcBm5OV6ArtXyz2jUhuHso4ULn100r_1phoig-oA@mail.gmail.com> <efb0370d-bbbc-9629-79d3-fa6d6f4b4bf7@freebsd.org> <CALM2mEnQ5SwZ7VvoDdBouOL8NYRBeObNwT0WoGvaCusi_oU16w@mail.gmail.com> <CAECmPwtBgQxNBLb3L9Dfo-PtAjYL1r0=3YdzNmxOotLshd-J-g@mail.gmail.com> <CALM2mEnuwPBZHE7FCtxeuQmrfkLVE9ZghvdFxuZiU0keH8FyNw@mail.gmail.com> <1526474572.62936.0@hraggstad.unrelenting.technology>

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 8:42 PM, Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:48 PM, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> There's absolutely no reason for anyone to invest any resources into
> developing a proper graphics stack for FreeBSD if the FreeBSD devs are only
> going to rely on Jerry-rigged stuff from Linux. The mailing list is
> bombarded by regressions and issues with the Linuxkpi stuff. For
> lightweight stuff sure, use the Linuxkpi if u have to but for a major
> component of the platform, that's just pathetic. There are talented devs
> out there who can get the work done, they just need to be financing, then
> organized. Seeing as most other platforms got their networking stack from
> BSD, it's a sad state when FreeBSD has to use Linuxkpi to get networking
> drivers. If stating that the FreeBSD graphics stack is in a sad position is
> "shitting on people" then I'm guilty of that. I just know that we can and
> should do better.
>

> As if the graphics stack doesn't have lots of issues and regressions *on
> Linux*.
> Heck, proprietary vendor drivers on Windows often have worse issues than
> the open source graphics stack!
>
> FreeBSD is not in a sad position, it's in a great position.
> I'm literally writing this from a Weston desktop that uses atomic
> modesetting on AMDGPU DC (on a Polaris card). VA-API video acceleration
> works. Vulkan (RADV) works both in X11 and Wayland apps. OpenCL (Clover)
> works. Overclocking the GPU and VRAM works.
> This is awesome! I can't imagine anything better. A couple years ago we
> barely had i915 Haswell support.
>
> There is NOTHING wrong with a compatibility layer like LinuxKPI. The only
> better way would be a standardized kernel interface that all Unix-like
> kernels agree on. Good luck with getting them to agree on *anything*.
>
> And yeah, speaking of network, my Mellanox ConnectX-2 works fine. So both
> of the things I have plugged into PCIe on my tower have LinuxKPI based
> drivers :P

Great, I am happy for you.