Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:32:19 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Jim Barker <jbarker1842@my-dejanews.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail losing mail

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 11:27:41AM -0700, Jim Barker wrote:

> As you suggested I tried mailq and then I saw everything
> that was downloaded.  So, my next question(s) will be...
>
> Do I have to manually create the subdirectories under
> /var/mail, and if so what permission's, owner's, group's,
> etc.
>
> How do I get the mail from the queue to the respective
> user's.
>
> Thank's for everyone's help, I greatly appreciate it.

No problem!  You don't have to create anything under /var/mail yourself --
it should all be done automatically when the mail is delivered.  For some
reason sendmail doesn't know to deliver this mail locally (does the output
of mailq give any indication as to *why* the mail is still queued?)

It may be that your sendmail is not quite configured right.  Someone with
better knowledge of sendmail than me will have to help you out there :(
The only thing I can think of is that sendmail doesn't know that the domain
the mail is addressed should actually be delivered locally.  I had this
problem once myself, but I cannot remember now how I fixed it.

Over to the sendmail gurus, I think.

	Scott.