Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:22:31 -0800
From:      "Aleksandar Obradovic" <alex@montenegro.com>
To:        "Erik de Zeeuw" <erik@usishealth.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD VPN Howto ?

I just went through couple of days trying to get through this. I got it
working with my NT going through FreeBSD firewall and connecting to another
NT. Looking back to it it was not too hard, and it should work the same with
2 FreeBSD gateways too.

1) Compile your FreeBSD kernels with IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT options. See
ipfw man pages.
2) Make sure that each of your FreeBSD's have 2 NIC's - one for the outside
world and one for the internal network.

My configuration was
<(NT VPN Client) ne2000>----<ed1 (FreeBSD Gateway)
ed0>----<internet>----<ne2000 (NT VPN Server)>

 VPN Client-IP: 192.168.0.2
 FreeBSD ed1-ip:192.168.0.6    (internal network)
 FreeBSD ed0-ip:24.24.12.251    (public)
 VPN-ServerIP: 34.23.12.122

3) Then I included the following in my /etc/natd.conf file

log                     yes
use_sockets             yes
same_ports              yes
unregistered_only       yes
dynamic                 yes
interface               ed0
pptpalias               192.168.0.2

4) I run natd -f /etc/natd.conf
5) I added the following to the ipfw rules:

	ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed0
	ipfw add allow gre from any to any via ed0
	ipfw add pass all from any to any

	This will leave your FBSD machine completely unprotected, so make sure you
tighten the IPFW rules after you get the VPN working.

6) I used the same VPN settings that worked on my dial-up. They started
working over the LAN now! Note that you can have only one dedicated VPN
client or Server behind the IPFW firewall.

Good Luck.

Aleksandar Obradovic
http://darkdays.metalnow.com