Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 17:24:53 -1001
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Stefanos Kiakas <stefanos@ringworld.uniscape.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID and FreeBSD

} > 	I have been using FreeBSD for the last year and I am interested
} > in setting up a RAID server. I was wondering what hardware and what software
} > choices I have under FreeBSD? Specifically what hardware is support (works),
} > and what is in beta.
} >
} > 	I know about ccd, but I'm looking for other solutions as well. I would
} > appreciate any help you can provide.
}
} Check out http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html.  It's a replacement for ccd.
}

Having had a software RAID system fail I would recommend against them.

RAID is supposed to add reliability.  Done in software in the kernel it
adds complexity and uncertainty.

With hardware RAID there is greater assurance that once you've used it
for a few weeks or months that it will remain consistent.  As part of
an OS kernel (drivers, etc.) uncertainty revisits every time the system
software is upgraded, patched or changed in some way.

Hardware RAID may be a touch slower, but it's more trustworthy.

Richard