Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 16:14:23 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Fixing handbook filenames (by id="blah" modifications).

On Mon, 19 May 2003 21:11:13 +0100
Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net> wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 02:04:11PM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > This morning, inspired by some unknown yearn to have the filenames
> > match the chapters (ie: s/nfs.html/network-nfs.html) I created a
> > patch that 'fixes' the advanced-networking chapter.
> >
> > Since the handbook will not build if the <link> tags do not match
> > an id, the appropriate changes were made to the other chapters.
> >
> > Before I commit this, does anyone have any opinions?  If this goes
> > in, I'll continue to work on this.  From what my builds show me,
> > this does NOT break anything.
> >
> > Please see the semi large patch at:
> >
> > http://people.FreeBSD.org/~trhodes/handbook.diff
>
> That diff needs updating (it has a diff of some cvs cruft in, and I
> updated the eresources chapter earlier and your diff reverts it), but
> I wouldn't be against the principle.

I noticed this also.  Which is why a new diff was uploaded, if you
want, you can check that version out.

> I'm not sure I see the point at the moment though; there are other bits
> of the handbook that need work.  Also, some articles are still lacking
> id's and therefore generating xXXX.html filenames, which may be worth
> fixing first (which I only mention as I remember there was a sweep not
> long ago to get rid of xXXX.html files).

Well, many articles are not only lacking id's, but also some content.
My goal here is handbook first, articles second.  Its not difficult
to do this, yet I don't want to throw the patch aside unless there is
a big call to leave it alone.

On a more humorous note:  I'm actually jumping full force on handbook
work, don't stop me now as I may get lazy tonight...  :)

But if you honestly feel strong about not committing this, I won't.
Personally, I think it will make the installed documentation look
better if anyone wishes to execute an ls(1) in the handbook directory.
I just think the format of <chapter><section>.html looks better and
more consitent.

--
Tom Rhodes