Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:31:55 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray), syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM bogon? Was: Re: NIS breakage

Bill Paul wrote:
> > It works! You are brilliant, sir!
>
> I'll say. I would never have figured this out unless somebody shoved
> at least a dozen i386 assembly language programming books into my head.
> (Contrary to popular opinion, my head isn't that big. :)

:-)

> > I have no more portmap bombing out, and ypbind is no longer giving these
> > bogus "bad address" turds.
> >
> > Excellent!
>
> I applied both patches to test machine in my office. Near as I can tell,
> it's had no ill effects. As I expected, I didn't see the EFAULTs after I
> loaded the 3.0 SNAP, but then again I haven't really tried to start it
> thrashing. I contemplated dusting off the corpse of my previous test box
> (an AMD 386/40) to see if I maybe the cruftier CPU could force the
> condition out into the open; now I'm glad that's no longer necessary. :)

I am still having one other YP problem. I thought it was related to the
portmap crashes, but it is clear now that this is not the case:

I get these on the slave server every time I try to push the maps (one per
map):

Jan 21 21:40:12 grackle ypxfr[5902]: call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Timed out master.passwd.byname
Jan 21 21:40:19 grackle ypxfr[5903]: call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Timed out master.passwd.byuid
Jan 21 21:40:24 grackle ypxfr[5904]: call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Timed out passwd.byname
Jan 21 21:40:28 grackle ypxfr[5905]: call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Timed out passwd.byuid
Jan 21 21:40:33 grackle ypxfr[5906]: call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Timed out netid.byname

(The map name at the end is my debugging code).

I did an rpcinfo of the master:

$ rpcinfo -p grunt
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100004    1   udp   1021  ypserv
    100004    2   udp   1021  ypserv
    100004    1   tcp   1023  ypserv
    100004    2   tcp   1023  ypserv
 600100069    1   udp   1015
 600100069    1   tcp   1022
    100009    1   udp   1008  yppasswdd
    100009    1   tcp   1021  yppasswdd
    100007    2   udp   1004  ypbind
    100007    2   tcp   1020  ypbind
    100005    1   udp   1000  mountd
    100005    3   udp   1000  mountd
    100005    1   tcp   1019  mountd
    100005    3   tcp   1019  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
    100024    1   udp    988  status
    100024    1   tcp   1018  status
    100001    1   udp   1044  rstatd
    100001    2   udp   1044  rstatd
    100001    3   udp   1044  rstatd
    100002    1   udp   1045  rusersd
    100002    2   udp   1045  rusersd
    100008    1   udp   1046  walld
    100011    1   udp   1047  rquotad
    100012    1   udp   1050  sprayd

...and see no ypxfrd in there. Is that the problem? I get the impression
from RTFM and RTSL that ypxfr reverted to a slower method than rpc.ypxfrd
to get the maps. Could this be because rpc.ypxfrd is not mentioned in rpc?
Funny - there are no errors syslogged.

if I make the slave the master (and vice-versa), I get the same problem -
the slave times out reading rpc.ypxfrd.

My configuration:

master: the now-famous amd386dx40, 3.0current(real recent) 8MB, ed0, lo0.
slave: i486dx50, 3.0current(real recent) 16MB, ed0, lo0.

> Okay. Does somebody else want to check this stuff over and commit it to
> -current (and 2.2 I would think)? I can do it but I don't know what the
> hell I'm looking at.

I think BDE and JohnD better check this out first.

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE