Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:10:34 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: number of interfaces and performance ?

At 08:16 PM 4/26/01 +0200, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> > Hmmm.. This does look interesting.  Note that there is way more bandwidth
> > than I need.  Like I said, I am only going to push tops 30Mb/s through the
> > thing. The cisco would certainly do the job, but I am still looking at 10
> > times the cost.  If I need to spend the money I will, I just hate spending
> > the money needlessly.
>
>I'm quite sure that you could get a FreeBSD box to perform adequately
>with 30 Mbps through the box. You may have less hassle with a Cisco box,
>but as you have noticed it'll cost you. I mentioned the 2948G-L3 simply
>as an alternative to the 3640.

Thanks.  Actually, once I add a couple of FastEs to the 3640, its about the
same price for the switch!  So this is very helpful and would do better for
me than the 3640. (Both are about $10K CDN).  I guess my main concern with
the FreeBSD solution is if having 30+ interfaces will slow it down in
production. I have a couple of boxes routing more this level of traffic
through a couple of fxps and an OC-3 interface with great results.  But
will having 30+ interfaces mean that the box will route significantly
slower or add a lot of latency.

         ---Mike