Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 12:59:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      jake@ibmPCUG.CO.UK
To:        Paulo Wollny Jr <Paulo.Wollny%pmlgate@ax.apc.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AWARD Bios (was:  )

> I got a Pentium motherboard with AWARD BIOS and an Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI
> adapter.

> When I try to install FreeBSD on this new system, the standard boot message
> appears, I hit <ENTER>, it begins to load, and after 3 seconds the machine
> reboots.

I have the same problem.

2 computers both are Award BIOS, 1 is a pentium and 1 is 486/DX2 Vesa

The installation of 950322 and earlier revealed that problem on both.
950412 installed nicley on the Pentium but the 486 still reboots
while the "|/-\" thingy rotates, (after the cpio disk is taken
out to do a reboot from hard disk)

I think it must be a problem to do with the interaction with Award Bios
as Ami Bios computers that I have installed on are fine.

I also had the problem (on both machines) of the floppies booting blind
and then causing a freeze, I got round that by booting a NetBSD floppy!
and very quickly at the "Boot: " prompt switching disks to freebsd and
typing "kernel" :-)

Regards,
--
Jake Dias                jake@ibmpcug.co.uk               ...!ibmpcug!jake