Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:07:47 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkenn@rebel.net.au>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USFS (User Space File System)

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, David E. Cross wrote:

> I have a number of questions on more specific ideas (like caching, inode/vnode
> interaction, etc).  But I am just feeling arround for what people think
> about this.  Any ideas/comments?

John Heidemann's papers on file system stacking layers refer to
implementations of this which allowed them to cheaply and easily prototype
new stacking layers outside the kernel. Heidemann did at least some of his
work for BSD (in fact I think that's where our implementation comes from),
but I don't know if the user-space FS code was ported.

http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/WORK/ucla.html#stackable_filing

There is some heavily censored reference code provided on the page,
but it's probably not useful (all the potentially Sun-proprietary code was
removed, which means entire files).

I think this would be a good way to go, although there's probably some
work needed on FreeBSD's stacking code to make it fully functional.

Kris

> --
> David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
> Systems Administrator/Research Programmer | Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,         | Ph: 518.276.2860
> Department of Computer Science            | Fax: 518.276.4033
> I speak only for myself.                  | WinNT:Linux::Linux:FreeBSD

                  The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm:
                        (1) Write down the problem
                        (2) Think real hard
                        (3) Write down the answer