Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 1996 15:25:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rsync

> I whole-heartedly support the GPL philosophy. Even though it has gone
> out of vouge. New information is built on and from existing information.
> The speed that information evolves in complexity and function is
> directly related how available it is. Retardation of information flows
> decreases the efficiency and efficacity of human knowledge.

Uh, I sense an impending GPL debate and I think that it would be most
unwise to do so in the -hackers mailing list; we have more than enough
traffic as it is. :-(

Let it simply suffice for me to say that *whatever* attractions a
given license may hold, it's been the project's overall philosophy
that the simpler a license is, almost regardless of its intent, the
better.  We don't want to place ANY restrictions on what people do
with our software, up to and including making a million bucks off of
it if someone really has the motivation to try and make that happen
(and if somebody's willing to pay that kind of money, it must mean our
software's pretty good :-).  The recent removal of BSD copyright
clauses 3 and 4 from many of our own contributions only underscores
our desire to simplify things, and whatever else you might say about
the GPL, it's NOT a simple license. :-)

					Jordan