Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:39:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
Cc:        Ralph Wiggum <tool_sucks@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amount of space for a FreeBSD 3.2 installation

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Jaime Kikpole wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Ralph Wiggum wrote:  Ok..just got a quick
> > question here.  How much space will I need for a full FreeBSD 3.2
> > install? I have the 4 CD set.

> 	That depends on what you mean by "full".  The base install of
> FreeBSD itself is a GB or 2, I think.  Maybe 2.5 GB at most.  But if
> you install all binaries, source code, XFree86 (source and binaries),
> and all of the ports (without using a "cd /usr/ports ; make clean"
> command to get rid of the left-overs) you could be looking at 6 GB or
> more.

These numbers are complete and utter bunk.  If you're going to take the
time to answer questions then at least attempt to answer them correctly.
The minimal install (no source for kernel or system) and only binaries is
less than 100MB.  It even says so here:

	http://www.freebsd.org/availability.html

If you get the full source tree then that needs approximate 200 MB in
addition to the minimal install.  If you add X (and you only add the
servers you need) and grab the libraries and docs then you need probably
(and this number I don't recall very well) maybe another 200 MB (possibly
more).

The ports tree itself takes up about 90MB of space.  Adding ports/packages
that you need will take up more space and the total amount of space you
need depends of course on what you install.

If you _really_ want a minimal install you can do it on ONE floppy w/
picoBSD.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *