Date:      25 Nov 1999 17:08:20 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where am I?

Marc Wandschneider <MarcW@Lanfear.com> writes:

> So, I've got a KDE session running under X right now as a non-root user.
> Under said session, I'm running about four shells.
>
> If I do a
>
> 	% w
> 	or
> 	% finger
>
> It happily tells me that there are no users logged on.
>
> HuH ??  Whassup here?  Where'd I go?
>
> If I switch to another console, and log in, then it correctly shows up in
> the list.

The list is kept in your utmp file, which is not updated by your
terminal emulation program, probably because it does not have write
permissions to the file.

For instance, my xterm has permissions:

    -rwsr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  147336 Sep 28  1998 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm*
       ^

which will allow it to write to the file /var/run/utmp:

    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  748 Nov 25 15:53 /var/run/utmp

If you're using kvt, you can try running:

	# chown root:wheel `which kvt`
	# chmod 4755 `which kvt`

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]