Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 16:12:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Call for testers: NatSemi DP83821 gigE driver

Thanks to the nice people at SMC, I finally got my hands on a couple of
gigE NICs and have a preliminary driver available for one of them. The
if_nge driver supports the NatSemi DP83820 gigabit ethernet MAC, which
is used on the EZ Card 1000 (SMC9462TX), the D-Link DFE-500T, the Asante
FriendlyNet Giganix 1000TA and 1000TPC, and (I believe) a couple of
Addtron cards. These cards also use a NatSemi DP83861 PHY.

The driver source is available from the following locations:

http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/National/4.x	4.x if_nge source
http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/National/5.x	5.x if_nge source
http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/National/PHY	nsgphy source (4.x and 5.x)

Note that this is very alpha code. I can't test it very well as I have
only one halfway working test box in the office right now. Don't ask me
how well it performs because I DON'T KNOW. I *do* know the following:

- 10/100 autoneg works
- 1000mbps autoneg with an Alteon AceNIC seems to work
- RX and TX at 10/100 works
- RX and TX at 1000 works
- jumbograms work

Note that I'm not supplying a whole checklist of instructions that show
how to add the driver to your system, because I want to insure that only
the people who already know how to do this will send me bug reports. :)
It's possible to build the driver directly into your kernel or compile
it as a module. You also must have the nsgphy driver loaded in order
for the if_nge driver to work. (It will actually work with the ukphy
driver -- but only at 100mbps.)

Anyway, if you have one of these cards and can test the code, please do,
and let me know the results.

-Bill