Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:01:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: >8 char usernames going into 2.2.5

I asked Wolfram Schneider (?) about this when I was using 2.1 and he said
this was fixed in the 2.2 adduser.

Underscore is AFAIK not supposed to be allowed in usernames.  Hyphen is,
which makes qmail's default use of hyphen as a separator in email
addresses rather annoying -- to their credit, though, it's configurable.

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Tom wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Studded wrote:

> > 	While I'm askin', it would be nice if some chars besides
> > letters and numbers could sneak in there too.  The one I would like
> > most is - (the dash) but I know there are other requests.  (And yes, I
> > know about aliases. :)
>
>   That is the foolish "adduser" imposing restrictions on you.  "-" works
> perfectly fine in userids.  I use "-", and "_" in usernames regularly, but
> I use a rather strange "adduser" that predates the one in FreeBSD.
>
>   "adduser" is in perl.  Just fix it.. err... _modify_ it :)
>
> > Thanks for your input,
> >
> > Doug
> >
> > Do thou amend thy face,
> > 	and I'll amend my life.
> > -Shakespeare, "Henry V"
> >

> Tom

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."