Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <joup@bigfoot.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   managing libraries

Hi,

Is there any sort of general advice one should follow when dealing with
multiple versions of libraries?  For instance, it seems like there are
plenty of symbolic *.so links to the most up-to-date *.so.# file, but most
applications tend to specify a specific number.  (Is there a reason for
this?)

My particular trouble tonight was a libGL.so.1 file that was referencing
several undefined pthread functions-- I found the pthread library, added
it to my $ldconfig_paths in rc.conf, reran ldconfig -R, and tried the
build again (qt-linguist).  Same error.  I finally mv'ed libGL.so.1 to a
backup file, made a symbolic link to libGL.so in its place (which in turn
points to libGL.so.14).

Am I going to have problems later on because of this?  Is there something
else I can do that isn't so kludgy?

Thanks,
Mark Miller