Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:08:23 -0700
From:      Matthew Jacob <mj@feral.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KBI bump in r227697?

> This is r229703 for stable/9.
> The __FreeBSD_version was already bumped after that change, at least 3 times.
> In fact, the bump to 900501 in r229723 is almost immediately after it.
>
> For HEAD, it makes no sense to bump the revision at all, since you are
> assumed to always run latest HEAD.
Really? This puzzles me. You're not really supposed to make KBI changes
in stable- otherwise stable isn't a stable place for vendor KOBJs.

When you make KBI changes, independent of whether head or not, a
revision bump is useful so that dependent code knows when it has to
change. This change carries forward and backwards for compilation
independent of which branch this is in.