Date:      	Mon, 21 Oct 1996 04:19:01 -0400
From:      Edward Ing <edward.ing@utoronto.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ARP and the ethernet addresses.

My FreeBSD 2.1 machine is acting as the server to a client running
Windows95/WindowsNT.
I just swapped out the ethernet cards on the client. But have maintained
the same IP addresses. However, the FreeBSD server and the clientsdo not
talk to each other. No ping. The cards work because I have tested them
with installation software.

 I have looked at the routing tables on both the server and the client.
And they have the right route, i.e., the they route to the proper
gateways. The client does not explicilty give a route
to the server, but it is implined in the routing to the network over
which the server and client talk. The server has an explict route to the
client.

I suspect that the ARP tables have not been updated. When I do
 arp [client] I get the response "mainserver.firstmaple.ca (172.20.0.3)
at (incomplete).

If this is the problem. How do I get the TCP/IP to execute ARP to get
the new ethernet address? Besides I though ARP as part of IP did this
automatically.

If this is not the problem do you have any suggestions?

Edward Omg