Date:      29 Nov 2000 08:42:13 -0600
From:      tayers@bridge.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help Understanding SSH

>>>>> "r" == rsowders  <rsowders@usgs.gov> writes:
r> The pass phrase and key combination are both required for strong
r> authentication.

r> Keeping it simple and out of the minutiae,

r> Basically the key verifies that you are coming from where you say you are
r> coming
r> and the pass phrase verifies that you are who you say you are.

r> As Popeye would say "I'm from where I'm from and I yam what I yam".

That is an excellent description for me (who feels like a bear of
little brain sometimes ;-). Thanks!

So am I correct in saying that there isn't a really secure way to do
"ssh othermachine <cmd>" without being prompted for the passphrase?

Hope you have a very nice day, :-)
Tim Ayers (tayers@bridge.com)