Date:      Wed, 9 May 2012 21:38:11 -0600
From:      Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9-R amd64 - graid, should it survive 'pulling' a disk?

On 5/9/12, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a Supermicro X8DTL-IF running amd64 FreeBSD 9.0-R, using the
> onboard RAID (ICH10 based) and graid, with a RAID 1 mirror comprising of
> two Intel 320 series SSD's.
>
> This works fine - but doesn't survive 'pulling' a disk. I realise this may
> not be a 'typical' disk failure scenario (i.e. the device just
> "disappearing") - but should it survive?
>
> At the moment I get a panic with:
>
> "
> (ada0:ahcich0:0:0:0): lost device
> g_vfs_done(): raid/r0p4[WRITE(offset=23737925632, length=131072)]error = 6
> /usr3: got error 6 while accessing filesystem
> panic: softdep_deallocate_dependancies: unrecovered I/O error
> cpuid = 2
> "
>
> In the middle of the output is:
>
> "
> GEOM_RAID: Intel-441dffb: Disk ada0 state changed from ACTIVE to OFFLINE.
> "
>
> (Which is what you'd expect to see).
>
> I can get more details - just thought I'd ask to see if this is something
> it should just cope with (i.e. having a disk yanked)?

Karl,

As far as I know, it depends on the disk. I've never used the model mentioned.
In my experience, if the disk supports hot swapping then yes, the system should
remain up and running when you yank the cable. I've yanked disk cables in a
running FreeBSD system which was using Western Digital's RE hot swappable
drives without any problems. They were part of a gmirror and on another system
a graid3. However, I've also done this on a machine that was using consumer
desktop drives and had panics.

Perhaps someone else knows more.
-Modulok-