Date:      Fri, 29 May 2020 15:15:11 +0200
From:      Daniel Ebdrup Jensen <debdrup@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Freebsd hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Introduce ifconfig -a -g groupname

--4zqp7ursyypken3p

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 07:57:23PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Currently "ifconfig -a" command that shows status of network interfaces
>may be combined with flags -d or -u to limit the list to interfaces that a=
re down or up.

>The change https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25029 allows it to filter the list
>by name of interface group with additional flag -g groupname, or -g ^group=
name to negate condition
>(this is different from "ifconfig -g groupname" that shows interface names=
 only
>and that behaviour is not affected with the change).
>
>I chose caret symbol (^) was choosen to ease both scripted and interactive=
 usage
>so it does not require extra quotation/escaping, but was told
>that caret would require escaping in the zsh.
>
>So I ask for suggestions which symbol to choose instead of caret.
>Benedict Reuschling suggested @ and I'm fine with it
>if we don't care about Perl code that would require escaping it when runni=
ng shell code.

>For thouse who interested, these are supposed usage examples:
>
>to exclude loopback from the list:
>	ifconfig -a -g ^lo
>to show vlan interfaces only:
>	ifconfig -a -g vlan
>to show tap interfaces that are up:
>	ifconfig -aug tap

Hi Eugene,

There is at least some precedence for using @, because it is used to popula=
te=20
SES information into /dev; see the example below:

stat -s /dev/enc@n5006048005f1ebbe/type@0/slot@f/da11
[snip irrelevant information]

So I don't mind it at all, and in fact look forward to it. :)

Yours,
Daniel Ebdrup Jensen

--4zqp7ursyypken3p

--4zqp7ursyypken3p--