Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:54:00 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "R. Zoontjens" <richard@radecom.nl>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: restore question

> > On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Mark wrote:
> >
> > > Worse even, how do I safely restore the "/" filesystem? (should it
ever
> > > become corrupted).
> >
> > The last time I needed to do that, I booted to the Fixit system
> > on CD2 and used the tools there to newfs/restore from backup.
>
> But what to do if you did your dumps to tape and the fixit disk does not
> have the right tapedriver?
> one would like to be able to restore the tape-dumps...

I've run into a problem like this before.  What I ended up doing was just
doing a bare-bones network install on the system without newfs'ing the file
systems, brought the system up and built a custom kernel with the right
drivers, rebooted and then was able to clean up from the mess.

> You build a custom boot disk with a custom kernel (Handbook). That's what
> tried. But: the MINI kernel doesn't fit on the disk, and I stripped it
> a -lot- :(   (my 4.7 MINI kernel is still about 1.2M with ATA-tape
drivers)

If you post your MINI kernel, I'm sure someone could find something to
remove that would save space.

Making a general statement, I've seen people trying to make custom boot
disks for rescue purposes but keeping things like usb support, smp support,
or netgraph stuff around.  Although this stuff may normally be in the custom
kernel used on the machine, it's usually never neccessary for rescue
purposes.

--
Matt Emmerton