Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:27:17 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latest bt848 code

Hi,

>From a driver point of view , when the device gets open the device
>will be set to defaults values. Applications shouldn't depend
>on keeping state information between close/open. In fact thats a
>bad practice.

in general I agree, but in this case its nice if the TV comes up the
way it was last set, just like a "real" Tv does.  thats the model
I am trying to achieve.  If its a big pain to achieve don't worry
about it.

I fixed the DEV_MASK problem in open:

	bt848[BKTR_IFORM] = 0x69;
+	bktr->flags = (bktr->flags & ~METEOR_DEV_MASK) | METEOR_DEV0;

you also have a redundant:

	bktr->flags |= METEOR_OPEN;

in there.

Now xtvremote can determine the tuner type and channel that the card is
currently set to.  the color controls ( hue, etc. ) can also be accurately
read on startup, although they get reset to defaults by the 1st open.
this I can live with , now that GINPUT now accurately reflects the open state.

do you have commit privileges, or should I commit the setting of DEV_MASK
in open?  I have to commit some new tuner code anyways (once someone
confirms it works).

--
Steve Passe	| powered by