Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2015 09:36:52 +1100
From:      Trevor Roydhouse <trev@sentry.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended WiFi / Bluetooth modules for embedded ARM projects?

Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-03-15 at 02:22 +0900, Brendan Sechter wrote:
>> I am looking for thoughts, opinions and recommendations regarding WiFi /
>> Bluetooth modules for embedded ARM FreeBSD projects.  My requirements are
>> 802.11ac / Bluetooth 4.0.  The ideal module is low cost, works with minimal
>> effort and also has a USB dongle approximation for early stage development.
>> -Brendan
>
> Right now, USB is pretty much your only option for bluetooth and wifi on
> freebsd-arm.  All the other chips I've seen that aren't USB are SDIO,
> and we have no SDIO infrastructure for talking to anything except an
> sdcard.

For WiFi, given my issues with a USB WiFi dongle stalling with the RPi
B+ (if_urtwn driver), I used one of those $US 10-12 pocket wireless N
routers (the size of a thumb drive) sourced from eBay which connects to
the ethernet port, is powered from a USB port, and joins the WiFi
network as a client. Works well.

--
Trevor Roydhouse
BJuris, LLB, LLM (UNSW)