Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:45:20 GMT
From:      John Grimes <kd3wy@arrl>, net@FreeBSD.org
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/94852: Cannot install 6.1 from either Beta1 or Beta4

>Number:         94852
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Cannot install 6.1 from either Beta1 or Beta4
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When attempting to install 6.1 Beta1 and Beta4 I encountered problems which caused the installation to fail.  The first problem I encountered was the system detected a digital electronics twited pair ethernet card and stated that it was not connected.  I had an easy fix for this problem, just make a connection to the ethernet card.  Later on I noticed if I had chosen to install in single user mode or without acpi with no connection to the ethernet card that problem was no longer reported and the boot up process would continue until at the point it would report  it reports: /stand/sysinstall running as init on vry0.  At this point it stops and spins up the cdrom  for a few seconds and that is it.  This behaviour occurs on both the 6.1 Beta1 and 6.1 Beta4 releases.
>How-To-Repeat:
Attempt to install 6.1 Beta1 or 6.1 Beta4