Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:25:32 -0500
From:      Clarence_Griffin@ed.gov (Clarence Griffin)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrading 2.26 to 2.28

     Hi folks,

     I'm a newbie and the jargon sometimes throws me for a loop (or is that
     `into' a loop?)

     At any rate, in spite of the warning in the little booklet in my new
     2.2.8 CD set, I tried to use /stand/sysinstall to upgrade my home
     system from 2.2.6.

     I thought I was doing pretty good, till I got to the screen messages
     advising me to "meld" the device drivers into the version.

     Is there any direction out there about how to do that?

     What I did was reboot, using the kernel.prev, cause the new GENERIC
     kernel wouldn't let me in, and the screen is now blinking while I
     attempt to force it to boot any other way.

     Then I did a "make global" hoping that the upgrade process made
     appropriate entries in appropriate places.

     (  Cut that out! Didn't your mother ever tell you it's not nice to
     laugh at the simple minded?)

     Paid my $20 for new CD
     So here I sit all broken hearted,
     Gleefully installed my new FreeBSD