Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 10:29:34 -0700
From:      Robert Wright <robert@pluris.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with Emergency Restore Procedure 9.3.8

Apologies in advance for the lack of error messages, etc. in this email.
My system is toast and I can't get the console messages captured.

I was practising the system restore based on section 9.3.8 on my reserve
system running 2.2.7. I had not run newfs as I was more interested in
figuring out how to mount the file systems and accessing the backup
tapes than in actually generating a completely new file system. This
would have in theory left me with a workable system if the emergency
boot disks failed.

When I booted up on the floppy disk created by the script from 9.3.8
(with MINI kernel also from script) the last console message was
something like "changing boot device to /dev/fd0s5" then the system
hung.

When I power cycled the box in an attempt to boot off of the hard disk I
got a message saying something like "/dev/fd0 not accessable" and a
final message asking me to tell it where the shell is.

After getting a shell started I attempted to "mount /floppy" which
resulted in a message  "isa timeout...." "/dev/fd0 busy" and then a
panic attack followed by a reboot.

On the next reboot I went to /sys/compile/GENERIC and did a "make
install" in a vain attempt at restoring sanity by forcing a reinstall of
a known working kernel. The install procedure worked but the next reboot
generated the same error messages as the previous one.

So it appears that the emergency repair floppy changed some default
behavior about how the system boots that I don't grok. (-:

Any help appreciated.

--

Robert Wright                             Manager, Customer Engineering
Pluris, Inc                               Phone: (408) 863-9920 x 339