Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:11:35 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Shreela <shreela@dcnet2000.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win on master/BSD on slave?

Shreela wrote:

> If I set up win95 on my master HD 8.4G and my BSD on slave HD
> 3.2....will I have to do any partitioning of any kind?

	Nope. Having windows and freebsd on two seperate drives is an ideal
installation. I have that same configuration here at home on my
workstation, and at work both.

> And would I need
> to bring up BSD from MS DOS7 (on master)?

	No, FreeBSD is a complete operating system all its own. What you'll do is
shut down windows (I usually use the restart option) then after your system
passes the BIOS tests you'll have a boot menu that comes up. If you choose
to install the small, self-contained boot menu that comes with the freebsd
installation you will choose between two function keys to pick which OS to
boot. Personally I recommend highly the OS-BS boot manager that's available
on ftp.freebsd.org in the tools section. Get the "osbsbeta.exe" file, and
just ignore the "beta" bit, it works just fine, it's easy to install (just
follow the directions in the read me file) and gives you a nice menu of
options to chose from which windows won't delete if you need to reinstall.

> Do you plan on making any tutorials for this kind of set up if it turns
> out to be complicated?

	There are several sources of documentation for this on our web page.

Good luck,

Doug