Date:      Thu,  5 Apr 2001 18:22:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 1200 install woes

--------------Boundary-00=_4HBC2JN9R94NTT4D7TH0

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 07:37:38PM -0400, Michael Richards wrote:
>> Doug's patches have been posted to the list. Since Joseph has
>> verified that they do work on the AS1200 and Doug has verified
>> that the loader still works on the non-affected machines,
>
> I must be farther behind in my email than I thought.  I don't
> recall Doug ever saying he tested his patch on *any* machine.  It
> was the testing by another that the commit was based on.  Am I
> wrong on the amount of testing this has had?

I'm sorry, perhaps Doug said that within a personal email to me. As
for the amount of testing, I believe that it has been tested and
found to work on as AS1200 and I can't remember the version Doug said
he tested it on... Doug???

As for the amount of testing, I would feel a little more comfortable
if there were more testing done with it, but the installed Alpha
group seems to be so small. There were not significant changes to the
loader to implement this fix.

I've proposed some much larger changes to totally squash this problem
rather than dance around it but nobody has commented on what I've
said.

Basically, since you've got to keep calling devopen in case the user
changes the disk, I wanted to implement a mount/unmount or changedisk
type command in the loader syntax so the loader knows when it should
expect to unmount and remount the device and is not left guessing
when this should happen.

-Michael