Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:02:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Eric A. Griff" <eagriff@global2000.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't get `.' off of root's path

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Eric A. Griff wrote:

> Do your echo $PATH, as well as $path before you su root. You will probly
> find . , : at the end. or :: in there somewhere.
>
> I have the same thing. It seams that su root does get it out of the path,
> as I still need ./ to run nonpath stuff.

Not true, neither $path nor $PATH has . in it.  this is not an error,
there is no "." in there to be found.  I have further checked by
deliberately inserting "." into my  $PATH in .cshrc, and su _does not_
take it back out, it is visible _and_ useable then.  In both cases, su
complains about relative components in the path, whether they are there or
not.  I'm going to check the su code.

> > > I've taken the path(s) completely out of .login, .cshrc, /etc/csh.login,
> > > /etc/csh.cshrc, and, .profile & /etc/profile (just in case I've missed
> > > some change that made csh read .profile) and it's still there.  Only on
> > > my current machines, not on my 2.1.5, 2.1.6, or 2.2SNAP machines.
> > >
> > > Format and start over ??  :)
> >
> > I have a new machine that I booted from a 2.2 snap, then moved to current.
> > Root's path (echo $PATH) doesn't include ".", but I get that warning
> > anyhow.  Functionally speaking, root's path really doesn't include ".", it
> > can't see executable in the current dir (except via ./), I doublechecked
> > just in case csh was playing games with me.  The warning seems to be
> > bogus.
> >
> > I doublechecked everything, I haven't made a mistake on this.

> > Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> > chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> > 9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
> > Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic, both FreeBSD
> > (301) 220-2114              | version 3.0 current -- and great FUN!

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |