Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 15:53:20 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Smart UPS Tools Trouble

In the last episode (Oct 03), Crist J. Clark said:
> I looked in the mail archives and someone recommended Smart UPS Tools
> from www.exploits.org. I grabbed the tarball and have been trying to
> get this to work. No luck there either. The first thing I found was
> that the program drops root priviliges before openning the serial
> port. I added some getuid() statements to help me debug, and this is
> what I was getting,
>
> # /usr/local/ups/bin/backupspro /dev/cuaa0
> Smart UPS Tools - Back-UPS Pro driver 1.10 (0.41.4)
> Unable to open (1) /dev/cuaa0: Permission denied
> uid: 65534, euid: 65534
>
> This is with /dev/cuaa0 set to the FreeBSD default of,
>
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 128 Oct  1 23:08 /dev/cuaa0

What I do is run ./configure --with-gid=68 .  There are still some
other porting problems with the program;  I've been sending patches to
the author but I moved to a new machine that has only one serial port,
so I have to unplug my mouse to play with the UPS.  The last version I
played with was 0.41.4p6.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com