Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:28:17 -0800
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: in.c autoadding prefix route

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 07:13:18PM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
> I have no objections so this change.  Does this help or hurt our quest
> to be able to usefully bind to 0.0.0.0?  It would be really nice if we
> could eventually do this so we could stop running bpf on 90+% of all
> machines just so we could use DHCP.

Nope, that's a job for my IP_SENDIF change (as yet unimplemented).

This change, however, may make things somewhat easier for interfaces
configured with the same broadcast address; IP_ONESBCAST currently
relies on the fact that an interface is numbered and has a network
broadcast address to do what it does, but I can see that changing
or perhaps even becoming obsolete if IP_SENDIF is implemented.

It's a trivial change to implement SO_BINDTODEVICE on top for Linux
compatibility.

Regards,
BMS

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp