Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 18:37:44 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Jonathan Yu1" <jonyu@shaw.wave.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connecting to the internet by a cable modem.

On 1 Oct 98, at 13:50, Jonathan Yu1 wrote:

>      I really need some help here to connect to the internet with a
> cable modem.  I went through
> many articles about this but they were all for serial connections.  And
> here is a list of the things that I am not sure of.
>
> 1. Do I need to set up PPP?
>     And if PPP is not required what do I have to modify before I can get
> the internet to work.

Nope.

> 2. My ISP assigns dynamic ip addresses therefore I
> don't know what I should fill in the file
>     rc.conf.

If you're using DHCP, I don't think you want need PPP.  I'm in a similar
situation.  I'm using ADSL and DHCP.  If you want to see how I set my
system up, see my website as noted in my signature.  Hope it helps.  Let
me know if it doesn't because that means there's more room for improvement
that I thought. <grin>

> 3. Do I have to setup a Domain name server?

Nope.  But if you want to, you can.  It us useful.  If all it ever does is
cache what you've already retrieved, it reduces net traffic and makes your
access just a little bit faster.  Again, instructions on on my site.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited