Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:34:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Gavin=20Kenny?= <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP Flavour

<<On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:20:10 +0100 (BST), =?iso-8859-1?q?Gavin=20Kenny?= <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk> said:

> Ah! OK. I was using 4.1 so I guess it uses plain Reno,

No.

> that documents all the differences between the
> different types, Reno, NewReno, Vegas, etc?

Not really, since those names are not particularly meaningful, and
were mostly just invented by the researchers who were pushing their
particular agendas.  ``Vegas'' is Larry Peterson's version,
``NewReno'' is Janey Hoe's version, and so on.  We can all agree that
``Reno'' is the version of TCP that was shipped in 4.3BSD-Reno, which
was effectively an early beta of 4.4BSD but also the first official
BSD release to contain the complete set of VJ congestion-control and
-avoidance algorithms.  If you look in the Stevens books, he had a
completely different set of names.

If there's a specific set of features which you need, we can tell you
if FreeBSD implements them.

-GAWollman