Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 2003 01:03:10 -0400
From:      "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat@peak.org>
To:        "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pppd + winmodem on Del i7500

Ok, I've got FreeBSD run my Dell Inspiron 7500.  Now I am trying to get my
winmodem to work.

I've added the ltmdm driver (Lucent Winmodem) and made the corrections
necessary so that it is loaded from /modules and not just in rc.d (as was
recommended to me by someone who is familiar with running FBSD on this
computer).

I've read Dru Lavigne's article [http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/254].  It
said that I needed to make a new kernel (MYKERNEL) if the modem was on
COM3.  According to Windows, mine is on COM3.  It also asks for the IRQ,
which Windows tells me the IRQ is 9 -- but then again it tells me most
things are on IRQ 9 so I don't know if that means anything.

So I edited MYKERNEL and removed the 'disable' for 'sio2' and I changed it
to be irq 9

I did the MYKERNEL stuff and make depend/make/make install/reboot.

When I checked dmesg it said:

sio2: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

It said to replace "#" with my COM port "minus one", so then when I did
the 'term /dev/cuaa#' I replaced the # with 2, thusly:

term /dev/cuaa2

it said

deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa1

Which seems wrong if I am reading the document correctly it should have
said:

deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa2

After "Type ~? for help" I tried to enter the ATDT command but absolutely
nothing happened.

I did this all as root and root and my user are both in the "dialer" group.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
TjL