Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:49:28 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Fw: how to boot from DPT SCSI host adaptor ??

> I'm trying to install 4.0 RELEASE in an AST Premium SE 4/50d fitted with
> a DPT SCSI host adaptor. This system is SCSI only (hard drives & CD-ROM)
> ..... there doesn't appear to be any provision for IDE drives. I'm aware
> that the generic kernel doesn't support this thing (attempts to install
stall when
> its looking for drives), but DPT cards are listed in both generic & lint
files .... so
> obviously there's meant to be some sort of support for them. The problem
as I see it
> is essentially a "chicken & egg" one .................. *exactly* how does
one
> go about installing the operating system in the first place so that
there's a kernel
> source available to edit & compile ??
>
> I guess if DPT support could be somehow configured into the boot floppies
> then at least install would be able to see the hard drives & CD-ROM, but
> in the absence of any info on that I can't imagine where to start. Another
> idea is maybe try installing via FTP, then the source is on the hard drive
&
> maybe once DPT support is compiled in it might be OK on re-booting.
>
> Comments / suggestions / advice anyone ??

Seems its possible to install via FTP, although only one of the two SCSI
hard drives
and neither the CD-ROM or Wangdat tape is seen.  It still remains to be seen
whether
or not its possible to change the kernel before rebooting, and whether or
not that will
get it booting off the hard drive.

Assuming it boots OK, how do I get the system to see the second hard drive,
the
CD-ROM, & the tape drive ??