Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2020 20:13:15 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: importing kyua into the base system

On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 21:19:17 -0500 Kyle Evans kevans@freebsd=2Eorg said

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:14 PM Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge=2Ecom> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 16:48:29 +0000 Brooks Davis brooks@freebsd=2Eorg said
> >
> > > I'll be importing kyua and it's dependency lutok into the base system
> > > this week=2E  Integrating it into the FreeBSD build system will make it
> > > available by default which is especially valuable on emerging
> > > architectures were we aren't building packages yet (e=2Eg=2E riscv)=2E
> > >
> > From the wiki (https://github=2Ecom/jmmv/kyua/wiki/About)
> >
> > Use cases: New system installation:
> > =2E=2E=2E
> > When setting up a new server with brand-new hardware, it's very desirab=
le
> > to ensure a minimum stability of the operating system that runs on top =
and
> > how it interacts with the hardware=2E
> > erm=2E=2E=2E *minimum* stability of the operating system?!
> > If this is as mistaken as it appears=2E Someone(tm) might want to run kyu=
> > against the wiki=2E ;)
> >
>=20
> I believe the point it's trying to make it is that tests aren't
> all-inclusive; they will miss things or induce little stress, but
> they're a great smoketest to rule out most of the basic issues=2E You
> can't really make much stronger claims than this about the stability
> of the system based on running a test suite, unless we're talking
> stress2 style suites=2E
Don't get me wrong=2E I'm not trying to knock kyua=2E But the way I read that
sentence seemed to me to be counter to the message they wanted to get acros=
s=2E
Maybe something like;
When setting up a new server with brand-new hardware, it's very desirable
to ensure a minimum _impact on the_ stability of the operating system that
runs on top and how it interacts with the hardware=2E
might have sounded more positive=2E
Anyway=2E It read funny to me=2E So somehow thought it worth a mention=2E

--Chris