Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:53:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   vx driver problem at 100T speeds

Hello,

   I have been experiencing problems with nfs on current system(s) for
a while and believe I may have narrowed the problem down to the
vx driver...   (3.0-970911-SNAP is the latest I've tested).

   In 100T Full Duplex  (3com 905 pci , 959 pci card)
      100T Half Duplex  (3com 905 pci , 959 pci card)

      the system exhibits a problem of freezing up momentarily and
then continuing, sometimes correctly, sometimes with an error. (Not
just with nfs, but I'm using nfs almost exclusively, so it shows up
the most there).

   In 10T Half Duplex  (3com 905 pci , 959 pci card)

      the system works correctly, with no errors.

   In 100T Full Duplex  (Intel 10/100 pci card)
      100T Half Duplex  (Intel 10/100 pci card)

      the system works correctly. with no errors.

   We attached a sniffer to the network, and found that the 3com
cards are sending bad packets...

   Approximately 95% of the time, a mount_nfs command will cause
a frame to be sent with an incorrect crc. This happens with the
3com card, but not the intel.  The sniffer reports a bad crc, and then
says that the frame length doesn't match the length given in the
header (ie: short frame by 140 bytes). It is ALWAYS 140 bytes short.

 I've tested 3 different 3com cards:

   Motherboard 3c905
   Adapter pci 3c905
   Adapter pci 3c959

   They all exhibit the same behaviour.

   What is the best way to track this down... I have access to the
sniffer for the next week or so...

Thanks,
John
--