Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:52:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Had the shotgun out and pointed at my -current/SMP box...

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Lee Crites (AEI) wrote:
> =>>So I pop the cover off this bad boy and lo and behold, 2 64MB parity's
> =>>from one vendor, 2 more 64MB parity's  froma different vendor.
> =>
> =>Are you sure that NT was seeing all the memory or using it ?
>
> I have no clue what this guy's situation is, but remember, y'all,
> our illustrious competitor, NT, is quite a bit slower than we
> are.  It is possible that NT was slower than the slower of the
> two sets of ram, so it *really* could have never noticed the
> problem.  FreeBSD, on the other hand, obviously did.
>
> So I'd bet NT saw all of the memory *and* was able to use it.  We
> just couldn't.

Perhaps a more reasonable explanation would be that the NT kernel and most
of the NT applications are such huge bloated pieces of software suffering
so much freeping creaturism that well over half the memory that they have
allocated for themselves is unnessary, not used and therefore if the data
stored in it gets corrupted it doesn't matter and hence it doesn't crash.
(at least not for that reason anyway!)

[Still I'd not have considered NT as either a competitor for FreeBSD, and
illustrious must surely be sarcasm!]

> My first FreeBSD box was a converted NT (3.xx) box which labored
> under only 8 users.  Under fbsd I tested a max of 70+ users.
> (p200/128meg for those who care).

That's overkill, you must live somewhere hardware is cheap!

	steve ($0.02 included)

I'm going to try using shorter sentences next week.
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/