Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2018 10:15:17 -0500
From:      Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net>
To:        Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Subject:   Re: new laptop, no sound in spite of driver attaching

On 04/30/2018 09:57, Richard Yao wrote:

>> On Apr 30, 2018, at 10:43 AM, Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On 04/30/2018 06:58, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>> and no idea where to search for a solution
>>>
>>> FreeBSD laptop.wojtek.intra 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #2: Mon Apr
>>> 30 13:35:54 CEST 2018
>>> root@laptop.wojtek.intra:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/laptop  amd64
>>>

>>> in dmesg
>>> hdac0: <Intel (0x2284) HDA Controller> mem 0x91410000-0x91413fff irq 22
>>> at device 27.0 on pci0
>>> hdacc0: <Realtek ALC282 HDA CODEC> at cad 0 on hdac0
>>> hdaa0: <Realtek ALC282 Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc0
>>> pcm0: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> at nid 20 and 25 on hdaa0
>>> pcm1: <Realtek ALC282 (Analog)> at nid 33 and 18 on hdaa0
>>> hdacc1: <Intel (0x2883) HDA CODEC> at cad 2 on hdac0
>>> hdaa1: <Intel (0x2883) Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc1
>>> pcm2: <Intel (0x2883) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> at nid 5 on hdaa1
>>>

>>> tried to change hw.snd.default_unit to 0, 1 or 2 - no sound in any case.
>>>
>>> mixer when default_unit is 0
>>>
>>> Mixer vol      is currently set to  65:65
>>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
>>> Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
>>> Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
>>> Mixer mix      is currently set to 100:100
>>> Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
>>> Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
>>> Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
>>> Recording source: mic
>>>

>>> mixer when default_unit is 1
>>>
>>> Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
>>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
>>> Mixer rec      is currently set to  37:37
>>> Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
>>> Mixer monitor  is currently set to  56:56
>>>
>>> mixer when default_unit is 2
>>>
>>> Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
>>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
>>>
>>> this is HP 250 G5 laptop
>>
>> HDA is apparently very difficult for vendors to get right.  Linux has
>> thousands of lines of vendor- and model-specific patches to fix it.
>> Start here:
>>
>> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c
>>
>> If you're lucky, you'll find a patch for your laptop or a similar laptop
>> that has the same problem(s).  The next step is to figure out how to
>> express the patch in FreeBSD's driver.
>>
>> Hopefully, someone will take interest in porting many of Linux's HDA
>> patches to FreeBSD.  Sound is probably one of the top three reasons
>> people fail to run FreeBSD on their laptop.
>
> What are the other two? Graphics support and easy management of WiFi?

I would say graphics and suspend/resume.  WiFi management is certainly
an annoyance, but if the hardware works, I can cope with that.  If the
sound hardware doesn't work, it's useless (until I can find the time to
study /two/ HDA drivers).

Granted, I had to replace the Atheros card in my XPS 13 with an Intel,
but that was only 19 USD and about 20 minutes, so that was also just an
annoyance.

> I hate to say that, but those are the two that kept me from adopting Gentoo FreeBSD on my laptop when I wanted to install it several years ago. The intel sandy bridge graphics support was new enough that it had not really made it downstream to Gentoo FreeBSD and the lack of a network manager equivalent for doing easy connection and disconnection to WiFi networks from a BSD userland was a headache. :/

I'm really grateful for all the recent graphics work.  Without it, my
XPS 13 would be running Linux for sure.  I would thank people by name,
but I would miss some.  You know who you are.  :)

Eric