Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 20:52:34 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <keric@websidestory.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet problem with 2.2.5 and 3C509B

>>    I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. Please explain the nature
>> of the problem you are having - other than the collision rate being a bit
>> high, I don't see anything wrong with the above numbers.
>
>Why are the 3Com cards so much more efficient?  Why are the collision
>rates on the Intel cards sky high, and the collision rates on the 3Com's
>so low?

   They aren't - exactly the opposite. The Intel cards are extremely
aggressive with packet transmissions and insert no delays between packets.
This can result in higher collision rates, but the numbers you're seeing
want affect the performance of your network unless you are near 100% capacity
all of the time (a 50% collision rate would reduce the ceiling by about 5%).
FWIW, the DEC chip based cards are similarly aggressive. If you're really
stressing over this, you can change the "linear_priority" configuration
option in the if_fxp.c driver source to a "1" - this will change the
collision backoff algorithm to add additional delay and reduce the collisions.

>> You mentioned that you tried setting full duplex...what is the machine
>> connected to? It must be connected to a switch for full duplex to
>> work. Moreover, if the switch is a Cisco Catalyst (or Cisco router),
>> you have to configure the switch port explicitly to full duplex - it
>> will not autonegotiate.
>
>Ahhh.. funny you should say that - we have Cisco Catalyst switches.
>RTFM eh? (forgive me, I'm new to Cisco switches)

   Ahhh...Catalyst switches. Yes, I've seen high collision rates with
Cisco stuff - both with 'de' and 'fxp' cards. It's possible that their
collision backoff algorithm is actually broken, but that's just a guess.
Yeah, full duplex is the best way to fix that.

-DG

David Greenman