Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2004 00:20:22 +0100
From:      Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
To:        Yuri Grebenkin <rainbreath@hotpop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About CD-RW

Yuri Grebenkin [Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 01:36:33AM +0300]:
> Please give me a suggestion what brand or model to buy.
> What CD-RW can be used under FreeBSD without problems?

I never had trouble with:

	acd0: CD-RW <HL-DT-ST GCE-8481B> at ata1-master PIO4

That's LG's 48/24/48 IDE CD-RW writer. Never damaged a CD during burn. I use
it for about 1.5 year.

> I use nVidia video card and really can't get it work properly 'cause of
> broken drivers from nvidia.com I think. So I want to be sure.

Also, I never had trouble with

	pci1: <ATI model 5961 graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 11

That's ATI RadeOn 9200, which does wonderful hardware OpenGL with XFree86
4.3.0 drivers (no need to download binary & buggy drivers!). I use it for
about 3 months and I don't want never ever to use NVidia cards. ATI is
simply better, when you do some hw opengl on Unix.

> And another little question. What is better to have both CD-RW and HDD on
> one ata0 (master and slave) or HDD on ata0 and CD-RW on ata1? What gives
> best performance? I think that best one is when they are on different,
> bacause it become possible to only read via one and only write via other
> while copying data. Is it that way?

Many people told me, that it is the best to have them on separate channels,
if this is possible.