Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 22:38:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, tim@storm.digital-rain.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :>     2.6 MB/sec is what I would expect if you were running the test
> :>     over an ssh link on a fast cpu - the encryption eats a lot of cpu.  But
> :>     a normal rcp or ftp or data transfer can easily do 9-10 MBytes/sec.
> :
> :	That was actually done with ftp between two machines connected
> :Full Duplex to a Cisco Catalyst 2924XL switch.
>
>     You've got breakage somewhere, I've run 9-10 MBytes/sec in both
>     directions at once through a catalyst between two FreeBSD boxes at
>     full-duplex.

	Not sure about the breakage but it does sound like something is
wrong.  We replaced all the cables with pre-made ones and it's still the
same.  Maybe the 100Meg file isn't large enough since it seems it starts
slow then builds up in speed.

>     Check for interface errors or collisions - this kinda sounds like the
>     duplex hasn't been matched up.  You should have no errors and no
>     collisions at all if you are running full-duplex.  Make sure the duplex
>     and port speed on the catalyst is hardwired -- we have had no end of
>     troubles with the autodetect junk on catalysts.  It also doesn't hurt to
>     hardware the duplex and port speed on the UNIX boxes.

	Ah, you have a point there.  The problem is we have so many wires,
we don't know which port goes to what on the Catalyst so we had it on
autodetect and FreeBSD does boot up with fxp0 showing 100Mbps Full Duplex.

>     If you still have problems there are a number of possibilities.  If you
>     are using discrete RJ45 ports try switching the cables as well as use
>     a different catalyst port.  If you are using telco cables - those big
>     fat 50 or 100 pair cables that use centronics-like connectors on the
>     catalyst side hat, you probably have an RJ45 punchdown block on the other
>     end.  These have to be Cat-5 punchdown blocks, not Cat-3 punchdown blocks.
>     Try a different port on the punchdown block.

	Hmmm, we're not using punchdown blocks since the cables from the
switches go directly to the workstation and other hubs/switches.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]