Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:25:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Butt <jbutt@mwci.net>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

> Your answer provides some very useful information, but raises a question
> that I have been pondering for some time.  As I understand it, Oracle
> has stated that they will support Linux where it is running their
> database product, and possibly will release their own distro of Linux.
> Given the server process short comings and the relative immaturity of
> the Linux code compared to FreeBSD, why would they want to port to and
> support an inferior OS, when for the some resource expenditure they could
> do the same on BSD?

Look at microsoft it people thought like this there would be zero apps
made for any MS product.

> The ready answer is go ask Oracle. They have been involved with BSD OS's
> and to my knowledge they are still using NetBSD on the NC, so they are
> familiar with the code.  The Linux installed base provides another easy
> answer, but if they are doing support and possible release of a Linux
> distro, the installed base is not so much of an issue.  Would it not make
> solid economic sense tp port to, support, and release their own version
> of a BSD OS?

Ask a marketing person.

> I am using Oracle here strictly as an example because they have been
> grabbing a lot of headlines lately with their Linux support program.  It
> just seems to me that it would make better sense if an organization is
> going to do the whole nine yards it would make more sense to go with the
> stronger platform to begin with. Or is it the case that database
> operations are not that process intensive and this whole thing is a
> non-issue? BTW, I am not trying to open up the old we are loosing and
> Linux is winning thing.  Thanks

People are strange.

See.. look at cars while some people buy cars to get them places I would
say that if all cars were of similar reliability (in general) that people
buy more for looks than for performance or (real) value.

Well if my buddy is running linux then well so should I.. (Look at MS tell
me that most people would buy it for its stability or performance??) Seems
to me mostly looks. (and possibly the gotta have it thing)

I do not know what would make freeBSD take off as far as userbase.. I do
know that people do not always make the best desicions when functionality
is part of the choice..

Look at how people dress...

Look at the cars they drive...

Look at what they eat ect..

(I am going to back in my hole and hide now...)

  James D. Butt 'J.D.'
  Network Engineer                                   Voice 319-557-8463
  Network Operations Center                          Fax   319-557-9771
  MidWest Communications, Inc.                       Pager 319-557-6347
  241 Main St.                                          noc@mwci.net
  Dubuque, IA  52001                                   jbutt@mwci.net